Lightly spiced cookies filled with Strawberry Preserves (Add to Cart).
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 6 Tbs. Brownwood Farms Strawberry Preserves (Add to Cart), or as needed
- Beat shortening, white sugar, and brown sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer until creamy and smooth.
- Mix milk and vinegar together and let stand 5 minutes to make sour milk.
- Stir sour milk, eggs, and vanilla extract into shortening mixture.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg together in a large bowl.
- Mix flour mixture into shortening mixture until incorporated. Refrigerate until fully chilled, 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll dough to a 1/8-inch thickness on a floured surface; cut into 2-inch rounds using a cookie cutter.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon preserves into the center of half the cookies; cover with remaining cookie rounds.
- Lightly press edges of cookies together using a fork.
- Cut criss-cross slits into the top of each cookie using a knife.
- Arrange cookies on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cookies are golden, 13 to 15 minutes.