This simple appetizer is a true crowd pleaser. We can’t tell you how many parties we are invited to just so that we will make this! It is so simple, yet elegant and completely delicious. The freshness of the tofu is quite important since it is served au naturale.
- 1 fresh whole wheat baguette
- 1 c firm tofu
- 10 basil leaves
- 4 T Brownwood Farms Famous Kream Mustard (Add to Cart)
- 6 T olive oil
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T sugar
- 1 T kosher salt
- ½ T black pepper
- 4 tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the Famous Kream Mustard (Add to Cart), 3 T olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper.
- Slice the tomatoes approximately ½ inch thick and lay out flat on a cookie sheet. Brush mixture on tomatoes liberally. Reserve about ¼ sauce.
- Bake for 1 hr 30 minutes. Remove from oven, brush rest of sauce on tomatoes and return to oven for 30 more minutes
- Slice bread and lay out on a cookie sheet. Drizzle on another 3 T olive oil.
- When tomatoes are done, remove, and turn oven to broil. Put bread under broiler for 2 minutes checking constantly. Remove from oven.
- Slice tofu about ⅛ inch thick and julienne the basil. (Roll all the leaves together and then simply cut through with kitchen scissors.
- Turn bread over so the untoasted side is facing down (less crumbs when you bite into them). Top with tofu slice, a tomato slice, and a sprinkly of julienned basil. Taste! Add more kosher salt and pepper as necessary.